[Toybox] perf(1)

Rich Felker dalias at libc.org
Thu Mar 12 16:18:09 PDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 03:12:18PM -0700, enh wrote:
> https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/128430/
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Rich Felker <dalias at libc.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 03:07:39PM -0700, enh wrote:
> >> there's a tool in Android that packs relative relocations. saves
> >> several MiB on the chromium webview .so. long term we'd like to see
> >> gold support it directly, but in the meantime it's a post-processing
> >> phase.
> >
> > What kind of packing are you doing?

OK, so it's via customization of the loader to process a different
form of relocations. This seems dubious to me -- if the number of
relocations is so large that it makes a practical difference to the
file size, then you also have a large number of dirty pages that are
wasting memory at runtime. Fixing the need for so many relative
relocations, which are presumably a result of unnecessary and harmful
global state containing pointers to functions or to other global
state, seems like it would be a much more beneficial approach than
packing the relocations.

Rich