[Toybox] FreeBSD porting, removing bashisms

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 21 19:30:25 PDT 2016

On 22 April 2016 at 01:22, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>> 3. Add to /etc/rc.conf (assuming vtnet0 interface here):
>>
>> ifconfig_vtnet0="DHCP"
>> sshd_enable="YES"
>
> Editing this file did not cause the interface to magically configure
> itself, but "dhclient em0" worked.

Yes, of course. I've now updated the instructions; there might have
been an extra reboot in there before.

> Yay, "lock order reversal" right after "All buffers synced." in
> vfs_mount.c;1222 and vfs_subr.c:2498, stack trace: witness_debugger,
> witness_checkorder, __lockmgr_args, vop_stdlock, VOP_LOCK1_APV,
> _vn_lock, vget, devfs_allocv, devfs_root, dounmount, vfs_unmountall,
> bufshutdown, kern_reboot, sys_reboot.

Sigh, this one is a known issue, for over 7 years :(.
http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/lor/280.html
It is not reported in release builds at least.

>> 5. Run pkg install git gcc gmake
>
> You mentioned I could skip gcc, so I just did "pkg install git gmake".
> It's downloading perl, python, curl, cvsps, expat, libffi, cvsps,
> readline, gettext-runtime... This is _sad_.

Indeed. gmake has a reasonable-looking set of 5 dependencies, but git has 74.

>> 6. Run adduser to create a user account
>> 7. Run shutdown -r now to reboot
>> 8. ssh to the VM as your user account
>
> I just logged out and logged back in as my new user, git cloned toybox,
> ran gmake allnoconfig, and it died with scripts/genconfig.sh command not
> found, which i'm guessing means no bash. There's no sudo, but "su -"
> works, to switch to root and install bash...
>
> Bash requires fdescfs mounted on /dev/fd. What? Ok...? Mounting,
> adjusting fstab...

Oh, sigh. The reason for this one is rather silly, and with luck it
will be fixed in a later package version.

> There's still no /bin/bash? It's in /usr/local/bin. Sigh. Ok, as root
> "ln -s /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash"
>
> Hey, gmake allnoconfig finished! Woo! Trying the actual build... Died
> telling me to PLEASE submit a bug report to freebsd.org. Well that's
> nice. Lemme see if whatever shell this is understands the 2>&1 | tee
> syntax to capture the log...
>
> Ah, your sed is horked. Right, lemme see what I can do about that...

It does seem that Clang asking to submit a bug report for EPIPE isn't
really desirable.

Anyhow, for my exploration I installed gsed and s/sed/gsed/ in
scripts/make.sh. We'd like to improve compatibility with GNU sed where
feasible though and I'll try to see what is being used here that we
don't implement.