[Toybox] toybox on Atari ST

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Aug 24 14:22:50 PDT 2016

On 08/23/2016 02:34 PM, Matthias Reis wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> I managed to modify the Linux kernel in order to make it boot on
> MMU-less, original Atari ST machines.

Cool!

> A screenshot can be found under
> https://ford.biologie.hu-berlin.de/matze/linux-m68k-atarinommu/wikis/home .
> The code repository is also there although I am currently restructuring
> the commits to make them more understandable.

I wonder what it would take to get qemu to emulate an atari st well
enough for this kernel to boot on it? (I played with aranym back in the
dawn of time, but the I/O devices were kind of painful to use.)

> I wondered whether toybox can be run under this platform, is the nommu
> work complete? How much RAM will it approximately need to run?

Toybox is working fine on j-core, which is a nommu platform. The
http://github.com/j-core/mkroot project is a tiny system builder that
builds with a supplied cross compiler, just:

  CROSS_COMPILE=cortexm- ./mkroot.sh

Output is an initramfs directory (and cpio image made from that
directory). It requires my patch to apply DEVTMPFS_MOUNT to initramfs,
which I need to resubmit upstream... (Remind me to send you an updated
version of that tonight.)

Alas, toybox's shell still isn't finished so that build script uses a
selecton of busybox commands (mainly hush) to fill in the gaps. I'm
working on replacing those, but it won't be ready for this next release.
(Past month and change has been an attack of life...)

> Best regards,
> Matthias

May I forward this reply to the toybox mailing list?

Thanks,