[Toybox] [landley/toybox] Help building toybox with the NDK/bionic (#43)

enh enh at google.com
Thu Dec 15 16:16:56 PST 2016

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On 11/19/2016 01:54 PM, Elliott Hughes wrote:
>> NDK r14 beta 1 should be out next week and includes the unified (aka
>> "modern") headers, which will be the first step towards building toybox
>> with the NDK.
>
> Yay!

just under a month later (delays caused by Android Studio)... NDK r14
beta 1 shipped this week with the unified headers. a standalone
toolchain using unified headers would help build toybox with the NDK
rather than in the platform.

(libselinux isn't an NDK API and isn't going to be, though, so it
would be a cut-down toybox at best unless you start making those
things available, at which point you're drifting back to "just build
from AOSP" being the sensible choice.)

>> (for the foreseeable future though, building toybox from an AOSP tree is
>> the only really practical option.)
>
> I have a todo item to try again to get a bionic toolchain working here
> (I've got glibc, musl-libc, and some old uClibc toolchains I'm not using
> much anymore, for a half-dozen architecture targets), so I'm happy to
> poke at the new ndk when it comes out.
>
> That said, what little bandwidth I've managed to scrape up for test
> build environment work recently went to
> http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/aboriginal-landley.net/2016-November/002591.html
> and that's the test environment I'm hoping to have working again by new
> year's. (Working as in maybe building linux from scratch under toybox
> again, which I haven't done in a couple releases now.)
>
> I note that the new "make airlock" target is partly intended to
> contribute to eventual hermetic builds of AOSP, but I know that
> generated/ not being a symlink is screwing you up and some stuff like
> that. I read https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/706404/9f66d57a520d6d8c/ and
> may try to do a ninja version at some point, but work's been nuts for a
> while now and I'm still not sure when that's letting up. Just trying to
> keep up with the bug reports in realtime is a bit of a juggling act...
>
> Speaking of which, I see you're going through the github bug reports and
> recommending closing several. Thanks for doing tidying I've never
> bothered? I treat the emails those send me as any other personal email
> with a bug report (except that I don't have to ask permission to forward
> my replies to the list because they're already public). So in THEORY
> I've dealt with them all. In practice, stuff tends to fall through the
> cracks when I'm overwhelmed. :(
>
> (The downside of using github for distribution is it has its own tool
> ecosystem which tries to be "sticky", and doesn't really give you the
> option to _not_ use it. Engaging with those enough to close them would
> sort of be encouraging them? (I can if people really want it, but having
> seen sourceforge and savannah and so on come and go, I'm reluctant to
> tie project development tightly to a specific site's infrastructure
> unless I'm the one maintaining it. I'm aware dreamhost's mailing list
> infrastructure makes this hilarious, yes, but I'm at least the one
> paying for that, and technically _can_ extract mbox files out of that
> mess and assemble new archives if I really have to...)

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.