[Toybox] [toybox] 0.7.0: scripts/make.sh: line 270: wait: pid XYZ is not a child of this shell (#24)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Feb 25 21:52:58 PST 2016

I prefer dealing with this sort of thing through the mailing list, I
only really use github as repository hosting.

On 02/25/2016 01:31 AM, drinkcat wrote:
> We use toybox-0.7.0 as part of the Chromium OS project, and sometimes
> hit an issue when building it on our automated builders (see this issue
> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=584542>):
>
> |toybox-0.7.0: armv7a-cros-linux-gnueabi-gcc -O2 -O2 -pipe -march=armv7-a
> -mtune=cortex-a15 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=hard -g -fno-exceptions
> -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -clang-syntax
> -funsigned-char -Wno-string-plus-int -I . -Os -ffunction-sections
> -fdata-sections -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fno-strict-aliasing -c
> toys/posix/tail.c -o generated/obj/tail.o toybox-0.7.0: scripts/make.sh:
> line 270: wait: pid 8477 is not a child of this shell toybox-0.7.0:

Hmmm... PID wrap, maybe?

> Makefile:19: recipe for target 'toybox' failed toybox-0.7.0: make: ***
> [toybox] Error 1 toybox-0.7.0: * ERROR:
> sys-apps/toybox-0.7.0::portage-stable failed (compile phase):
> toybox-0.7.0: * emake failed |
>
> For some reason we cannot reproduce locally (it only happens on these
> builders that are compiling many other packages at the same time).

Neither can I.

Maybe I could do something with a restricted process ID range forcing
quick wrapping, but this seems more a bash problem than my script, so a
workaround's more likely than a proper fix. (I wonder if I can
distinguish this error from a compiler error? Hmmm... 127 is nonexistent
process or job, except how to distinguish "gcc not in $PATH" from "PID
we waited on went bye-bye and took its exit status with it"?)

> Looking at the code (|script/make.sh|), we are wondering about your use
> of |$(jobs -rp)|. Wouldn't it be more correct to add jobs to PENDING
> using |$!| right after you launch the job (|do_loudly|)?

If you think that'll help, I'm happy to give it a try, sure.

Thanks,