[Toybox] [TOYBOX][RFC] building toybox on a Yocto enviroment

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Feb 3 20:37:56 PST 2016

On 02/02/2016 07:51 PM, Joya Cruz, Alejandro wrote:
> I have been trying to build toybox with different LSM enviroments
> unsing yocto as building tool.
> the more persistant error that I got is bellow:
>
> |DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
> |NOTE: make -j 8 -e MAKEFLAGS= toybox_unstripped

make -j doesn't have any effect with toybox, it detects its own SMP
level (set CPUS=1 to override that).

> |scripts/make.sh
> |Generate headers from toys/*/*.c...
> |Make generated/config.h from .config.
> |generated/flags.h generated/help.h
> |Compile toybox.....

So that worked?

> |NOTE: make -j 8 -e MAKEFLAGS= generated/instlist
> |NOBUILD=1 scripts/make.sh
> |Generate headers from toys/*/*.c...
> |Make generated/config.h from .config.
> |generated/flags.h generated/help.h
> |cc -I . scripts/install.c -o generated/instlist
> |In file included from ./toys.h:71:0,
> |                 from scripts/install.c:6:
> |./lib/lsm.h:23:23: fatal error: sys/smack.h: No such file or directory
> | #include <sys/smack.h>
> |                       ^
> |compilation terminated.

Ah, back in November I fixed it for scripts/make.sh and
scripts/install.sh but missed the HOSTCC?=cc in the makefile. Which is
being used to build a generated/instlist that scripts/install.sh doesn't
use (it builds its own), so...

Try now?

> |make: *** [generated/instlist] Error 1
> |WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
>
> until now the solution that i have found is this.
> any suggestion if this should be part of toybox or how could i
> workaround this issue?
>
> I'm using the CFLAGS to provide the temporal environment with the
> libraries.

Which was suggested at the time, and broke stuff because CFLAGS is
target options (ala "select big endian"), not host options. It's
host/target confusion, the basic problem with cross compiling.

I just pushed a commit that should fix it, I think? (I still don't have
this build environment...)