[Toybox] toybox sed broken in all AOSP Marshmallow builds

Chris Renshaw osm0sis at outlook.com
Wed Jan 20 10:32:55 PST 2016

Hi guys, I just wanted to give you the heads up on sed being broken on my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 running the current Marshmallow 6.0.1 (MMB29S and MMB29O, respectively).
Here is some example output:root at flo:/ # echo "blah" | sed "s/blah/test/";
testblah
root at flo:/ # echo "blah" | busybox sed "s/blah/test/";
test
Since Google's release tags show (up to the current 6.0.1_r10) Marshmallow's toybox frozen from back in July that means sed is broken on all official Marshmallow (6.0-6.0.1) releases thus far.
Cyanogen has recently followed AOSP's lead and started including toybox in their recovery, and I notice the sed output works correctly there, suggesting the issue has already been fixed upstream; I also notice Elliott has been keeping up with the official GitHub master on GoogleSource thus it's likely fixed in master there too, so I was just hoping that a newer toybox could be sync'd and merged into one of the upcoming monthly security update branches if either Elliott or Rob have the ability to nudge for such a thing, since it's no fun having broken Linux utilities in Android. Thanks!
Chris Renshaw