[Toybox] awk seen in the wild

enh enh at google.com
Thu Jul 14 14:43:23 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 07/13/2016 05:38 PM, enh wrote:
> > looks like i never sent my previous patch to the list, and looks like i
> > lost it on disk too. (it's probably still *somewhere*, but at some point
> > it's cheaper to stop looking and just do it again...)
> >
> > attached is a rewrite that shows the basic idea, but misses the step of
> > refactoring your portable implementation to look like the libcrypto one
> > so we can remove the 10 lines of duplication. (the majority of the lines
> > added to this patch is just the same help text duplicated over and over.)
> >
> > this actually makes toybox faster than the version in ubuntu 14.04.
>
> Grumble grumble.
>
> Sigh.
>
> Fidget.
>
> Grrr...
>
> [Sleeps on it; next afternoon...]
>
> This is almost certainly the right thing to do. Lemme figure out where
> the new edges of this can of worms are.
>
> I know that no external library should ever be REQUIRED by the build.
> And I still want the hermetic/selfhosting builds to work with defconfig
> toybox, so may wind up adding builtin slow/simple implementations of
> more stuff that libraries provide optimized versions of.

yeah, that's actually a very good argument for the portable
implementations that hadn't occurred to me.

> But yes, I should apply this. Lemme finish up my pending md5sum changes
> first though. (I'm 2/3 of the way through adding -c support.)

no hurry. like i said, i've had a patch like this hanging around for
so long that i literally couldn't find it any more :-) at least
there's something in the list archives now!

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.