[Toybox] Kernighan's awk repo

enh enh at google.com
Thu Jul 21 09:04:07 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 9:20 PM, Andy Chu <andychup at gmail.com> wrote:
>> yeah, i'd like to see asan support in toybox's makefile; i'm starting
>> to get a small pile of bug reports from the folks running asan Android
>> system images, but it's going to be inconvenient to have to deal with
>> them on the device rather than just on the host.
>
> How are they generating test input?

this isn't from fuzzing.

> When you say "folks running", is
> that an automated or manual process?

for toybox, afaik, it's just people noticing toybox problems while
investigating other things.

> Are the bug reports public, and
> are they in toybox or elsewhere on the system image?

the ones i'm talking about are just toybox ones.

> In case it got lost, these patches I sent out in March added ASAN
> support to Toybox's Makefile, as well as scripts for running tests
> under the ASAN-instrumented binaries (and other LLVM sanitizers)
>
> http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2016-March/008147.html

no, i remember that and my plan is to give it a try as soon as i have
time. which is why the longer version of my plan is "mention it on the
list knowing i won't get round to it for a while, and maybe it'll be
easier by the time i get there anyway" :-)

> I think Rob didn't agree with it being a big lump, which is some what
> understandable.  In my defense, if something is in good shape, I will
> be very careful and make the minimum changes.  If something is in bad
> shape, as the toybox tests are, I don't feel bad about rewriting it --
> it deserves it.
>
> In other words, if I find 5 bugs in the process of adding a feature,
> I'm going to take more liberties in re-architecting it... and those
> patches fixed way more than 5 bugs in the test harness, some of which
> I'm sure are still there.
>
> Andy

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.