[Toybox] LLVM sanitizers

enh enh at google.com
Fri Jul 22 08:56:10 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:45 AM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On 07/21/2016 12:33 AM, Andy Chu wrote:
>> expr is in pending, but ships on Android.
>
> Yes, that is a significant issue I need to address. However, "issue"
> isn't necessarily "the real problem". The _problem_ is I have many
> things to do and a finite amount of time/energy to do them, but I'm
> working on it.
>
> Right now I'm trying to get grep to where android can use it, and get dd
> cleaned up and promoted out of pending. After that expr is near the top
> of the list.
>
> When you say "a thing in pending is broken" I tend to go "yes, that's
> why it's in pending". When you say "prioritize this thing in pending"
> what I prioritize is getting it out of pending.

(speaking of which, what's the plan with getfattr/setfattr? are they
likely to come out of pending soon, or should i start using them
anyway? and did you want me to move their new looping (list|get)xattr
functions into lib and use them in cp too, or do you want to do that?)

>> I hope that was clear!  I thought you were just busy, but I think you
>> never really understood what I was saying and what the tools do.
>
> I want to triage the testing directory, going through the existing tests
> command by command and making sure that each test is a good test for the
> command. (Are we passing the tests we have? Can TEST_HOST reasonably be
> applied? Are we testing everything the command does? Are we testing
> interesting failure paths?)
>
> My major todo item is getting tests requiring root access and/or a known
> host environment implemented and working under aboriginal linux images.
> (For "top" I may need a snapshotted /proc directory in a tarball, and
> /proc symlinks switching from directory to directory with somesort of
> synchronization mechanism. I probably have to create a pty, run top with
> an essentially infinite timeout, and feed a space through the pty to
> force a rescan, and also make sure the code is taking its timing info
> from the proc data not from calling gettimeofday() or similar so the
> test scriptisn't perturbing the output.)
>
> That can of worms is the kind of thing I'm worrying about when I look at
> the test suite. Can I make dummy interfaces in a qemu instance that
> ifconfig can attach ipv6 addresses to, and if so can I insulate it from
> kernel version skew if I upgrade the kernel version the test is running
> under?)
>
> You instead want to do a major redesign of the testing directory based
> on this week's coverity/valgrind variant, which is a different area
> entirely and not something I personally ever expect to use. Your
> redesign would put me further from _my_ goals, adding significant
> complexity I wouldn't use and thus wouldn't regression test and thus
> almost certainly would break if I changed anything. (Not just changes in
> the testing directory, you add significant complexity to a makefile
> that's otherwise mostly just a wrapper around shell scripts in
> scripts/*.sh to provide an expected user interface, the way "make
> test_sed" is just a wrapper around "scripts/test.sh sed". With your
> patch, the makefile seems to be the ONLY way to call some of the new
> functionality, and/or your wrappers call the makefile instead of the
> other way around.)
>
>> If there were any parts of my messages that weren't clear, I'm happy to
>> clarify.
>
> I lost about 4 weeks in the past 2 months to $DAYJOB melting, and it's
> entirely possible I'll be spending 6 months in San Diego working an
> unrelated contract until they get their financial house in order.
>
> More recently the Con Crud I picked up at Texas Linuxfest seems to have
> morphed into tonsilitis (which is disconcertingly like strangling except
> my airway isn't blocked, and I keep wanting a 6 hour nap in the middle
> of the day).
>
> I'm working as fast as I can, but I don't necessarily have the same
> [...]

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.