[Toybox] Android toolbox replacement status

enh enh at google.com
Wed Jun 29 15:36:15 PDT 2016

so, in slightly different form to the roadmap and with more detail,
here's the current status for remaining stuff to do...

dd
  -- i don't have any known problems, but i'm assuming it'll get
rewritten when it moves out of pending, so i wanted to wait until the
dust settled. if you think the rewrite is sufficiently far out to make
this a bad plan, let me know and i'll write patches for some of the
feature requests i have pending (stuff that isn't in the BSD dd
either).

getevent/sendevent
  -- getevent/sendevent look like the obvious next thing for me to
look at, but i wondered what you want to do about
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core.git/+/master/toolbox/generate-input.h-labels.py
--- at the moment we take bionic's current uapi input headers at build
time and generate a bunch of arrays that let us translate back and
forth between codes and strings. i don't relish the prospect of
manually maintaining 1000 lines of constants in toybox. (maintaining
these large lists of kernel constants is the real problem with strace,
not the actual syscall interception!)

grep
  -- toybox missing --color, but as long as  the point where this is
the only thing left i might just switch us over anyway. until then,
this isn't hurting anyone.

newfs_msdos
  -- this seems the most likely candidate to still be around in O.

reboot
  -- not obvious to me that i can write this without new
infrastructure or making a big mess of #if __ANDROID__ inside
reboot.c?
  -- as an aside for anyone wondering, there's no good reason this
isn't in toolbox right now. there *used* to be, back when reboot
actually did the work and required capabilities, but when it was
rewritten to just forward to init, no one merged it back into toolbox.

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.