[Toybox] Toybox test image / fuzzing

Andy Chu andychup at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 15:12:11 PST 2016

What is the best way to run the toybox tests?  If I just run "make test", I
get a lot of failures, some of which are probably because I'm not running
as root, while some I don't understand, like:

PASS: pgrep -o pattern
pgrep: bad -s '0'
               ^
FAIL: pgrep -s

I'm on an Ubuntu 14.04 machine, running against the master branch.  I
didn't try running as root since it seems like there is a non-zero chance
that it will mess up my machine.

I saw in the ELC YouTube talk that test infrastructure is a TODO.

http://landley.net/talks/celf-2015.txt

Is this something I can help with?  I guess if you can tell me what
environment you use to get all tests to pass, it shouldn't be too hard to
make a shell script to create that environment, probably with Aboriginal
Linux.  I have built Aboriginal Linux before (like a year ago).

One of the reasons I ran into this was because I wanted to distill a test
corpus for fuzzing from the shell test cases.  afl-fuzz has a utility to
minimize a test corpus based on code path coverage.  So getting a stable
test environment seems like a prerequisite for that.

FWIW, I had a different approach for fuzzing each arg:

https://github.com/andychu/toybox/commit/ff937e97881bfdf4b1221618c38857b75c9534e0

This seems to be a little laborious, because I have to manually write shell
scripts to fuzz individual inputs (and I didn't find anything beyond that
one crash yet).  I think the mass fuzzing thing might work better, but I'm
not sure.

thanks,
Andy