[Toybox] FreeBSD porting, removing bashisms

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 20:37:00 PDT 2016

One last thing to add to the above - as Ed said:

> Yes, it's not used (or available) for native builds -- the syscalls
> and ioctls aren't available in that case. The Linux emulation layer
> would be used when running an unmodified Linux toybox binary. I'm
> happy enough to just avoid building the Linux-specific tools for now.

As you can see some of the error messages I encountered upon 'make test'
under Linux emulation definitely showed some missing ioctls. However, I
can't see how those particular commands and corresponding ioctls or
syscalls won't be used by many Docker images in the wild, which FreeBSD
intends to support.

It definitely seems Toybox would make a great test suite for any Linux
emulation framework on any platform that intends to build minimal support
for most Linux userland binaries.

- Zack