[Toybox] awk (Re: ps down, top to go)

Andy Chu andychup at gmail.com
Mon May 30 19:35:22 PDT 2016

>> Are you interested in the testing patches (i.e. sanitizers and
>> coverage) I sent a couple months ago?
>
> Point me to a link? (You've posted many long threads here...)

Original patches:

http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2016-March/004838.html

Some more description in this thread:

http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2016-April/008195.html

Also, don't forget that on master in expr.c, there's an unfixed memory
management bug which you introduced on top of my patches.

>> Or do you have another plan to integrate those tools?
>
> I have plans to improve my test suite, but the big blocker is building a
> VM environment within which I can get deterministic behavior for things
> that interrogate or modify system state, like "ps" and "mount". (I
> probably have to break down and provide synthetic /proc snapshots. I
> just really didn't want to go there...)

I don't really think that's the blocker.  There's low hanging fruit to
fix before getting to the VM stuff, i.e. precisely what's in those
patches.

For example, I added the skip_if_not_root function and more or less
triaged which tests need it.  Everything that must run as root needs a
VM or some other solution.

But there are lots of commands that don't need a VM.  They just need a
stable and well-defined environment.  A big problem with the tests is
that they are written in a way which confuses host and target.  Both
the tests *and* the test harness are confused by this issue.  The test
harness is inconsistent about what it puts in the $PATH for the tests.
And the tests have comments indicating that they're using the host
binary, when they're actually using the toybox binary.  IIRC this was
one of the most common causes of test failures.

Andy