[Toybox] Notes to self: strace and containers.

enh enh at google.com
Tue Oct 25 09:37:24 PDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 1:54 AM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> 1)
> https://blog.nelhage.com/2010/08/write-yourself-an-strace-in-70-lines-of-code/

that's the easy bit though... the vast majority of the work with
strace is the struct decoding. it doesn't look too insane until you
try to support more than one architecture [or more than one
personality within an architecture], but quickly gets out of hand.

and just the arm/aarch64 and x86/x86-64 combinations are non-uniform
enough; ignoring nonsense like s/390 [thanks for nothing, s/390:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=19be0eaffa3ac7d8eb6784ad9bdbc7d67ed8e619]
won't save you.

> 2) https://blog.lizzie.io/linux-containers-in-500-loc.html
>
> Note on that second one, android is already using "minijail":
>
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGmj6CUEup0
>   https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/minijail/+/master/

yeah, it was mentioned briefly here:

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2016/07/protecting-android-with-more-linux.html

and you can see in the tree it's currently used for a handful of more
exposed services (media/network stuff). it's used more heavily by
ChromeOS and Brillo, including for running Android apps on ChromeOS.

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.