[Toybox] Has anybody ever actually used cut -f?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Sep 2 00:40:17 PDT 2016

On 09/01/2016 06:57 PM, scsijon wrote:
>> Yes, I use cut all the time. In fact, I have never intentionally used
>> awk on my own--only when copied from somebody else's one-liners.
>> Usually if there's a variable run of space I cut on the punctuation next
>> to it, or failing that, pipe through `sed 's/\s\+/\t/g'`. Of course,
>> this probably defeats the whole advantage of using cut over awk
>> (simplicity), but it's habit at this point.
>
> Totally agree, it took me quite some time to work out how to use cut
> effectively, (we use it proficently in Puppy Linux,) but the things you
> can do with it both by itself as well as with other tools makes it a
> great scripting command. And it seems to 'sort out' any nesting problems
> by itself, even when you really stuff up (like after a 4am session).

Um, such as? (Could you give me a couple test cases I can add to the
test suite so I make sure I don't break a thing you actually use?)

My question really should have been: does anybody use cut -f without -d?
(Samuel holland found a couple obscure instances on github, but had to
search for them.)

Thanks,