[Toybox] TLS on lists.lanley.net [was Re: cut is nuts.]

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Sep 4 12:17:40 PDT 2016

On 09/04/2016 07:50 AM, Felix Janda wrote:
> My reply didn't quite make it to the list since lists.landley.net
> doesn't support TLS, and I've enabled
>
> https://posteo.de/en/blog/new-tls-sending-guarantee-for-additional-security
>
> Would it be possible to use "Let's encrypt" also on lists.landley.net?

Probably not. The dreamhost certificate stuff is an automatic checkbox
in Dreamhost's web interface:

https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/2016/01/20/free-ssltls-certificates-at-dreamhost-with-lets-encrypt/

Meaning I don't really have access to it, when I ask dreamhost about
this sort of thing (I asked them about https://lists.landley.net months
ago so I don't have to send my admin password as cleartext to delete
spam) they go "we have mailing lists?" and it all spirals downwards from
there...

  https://lists.landley.net/

Still doesn't connect.

The problem is getting bits of dreamhost to talk to other bits of
dreamhost. Notice how http://lists.landley.net stuff is a separate
server from https://landley.net and neither is in the MX record mail
server pool.

  dig landley.net
  dig lists.landley.net
  dig -t MX lists.landley.net

Dreamhost did the simplest thing, called it good, and might possibly
revisit it sometime around 2030. (Ok, ok. 2040. Maybe.)