[Toybox] --version for all commands?

dmccunney dennis.mccunney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 13:53:25 PDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 4:32 PM, enh <enh at google.com> wrote:
> (on the "it was good enough for busybox" front: is there an OS where
> busybox is the default? or are folks with busybox implementing their
> /bin all cognizant of the fact because they had to manually do that to
> themselves in the first place?)

The last time I looked, Puppy Linux shipped with Busybox as the
default.  It was designed for older and lower end hardware with
limited resources, and small size of components was a selector.
(Along the same lines, vi was a symlink to the vi emulation provided
by Albrecht Kliene's e3 editor, also chosen for small size.)  I
believe DSL Linux and TinyCore Linux used similar strategies.

I had Puppy on an ancient notebook that multibooted it, Win2K, Ubuntu
and FreeDOS.  Puppy and Ubuntu were installed on ext4 partitions, and
mounted each other's slices when they were booted.  So I migrated
various commands from Ubuntu to Puppy to have the full versions.  Had
a current Toybox been available back then, I might have just replaced
Busybox and not migrated Ubuntu commands, because Rob does a good job
of maintaining full functionality in the Toybox versions.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519