[Toybox] Android O: XARGS - bad system call

darken darken at darken.eu
Thu Apr 13 14:13:03 PDT 2017

I'm not sure how to use strace, how do I get a strace binary into the
Android O image?

Can't reproduce it on the X86 Android O emulator image.
But can reproduce it on my Pixel running Android O.
Tried the latest toybox build too but it's not the build, and when running
it as shell user (adb) it works:

> sailfish:/data/local/tmp $ ./toybox_new find '/data/local/tmp' -maxdepth
0  -print0 | ./toybox_new xargs -0 echo
> /data/local/tmp
> sailfish:/data/local/tmp $ ./toybox_old find '/data/local/tmp' -maxdepth
0  -print0 | ./toybox_old xargs -0 echo
> /data/local/tmp
> sailfish:/data/local/tmp $ ./toybox_new --version
> toybox 0.7.3-37-g04940678c81a
> sailfish:/data/local/tmp $ ./toybox_old --version
> toybox 0.7.2-37-g109a28b8a749

So it works as shell user, but not as app user.
But it also works if the app runs the native toybox from /system.
Is this some kind of SELinux issue?
Preventing xargs from forking processes or something like that?

Why would it work on the emulator though...