[Toybox] Grinding away at a release.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jun 4 21:43:16 PDT 2017

I meant to get one out on the first, but have a nasty cold (the person I
got it from had it all last week, it's a fun one).

The main delay is that I did a lot of work on
https://github.com/landley/mkroot over the past week, which depends on
the toybox release happening first (right now
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/mkroot-landley.net/2017-May/000015.html
is its #1 FAQ). Next time around I should have the toybox test suite
running under that and doing root tests, but this time around I'm just
getting around to working on the release notes.

Commit d3267c60ee48 which Elliot wanted still troubles me: that's the
one that stopped outputting help text for things like:

  $ ./ls -X
  ls: Unknown option X

The problem is, if you don't already know to type --help there's no
indication where to go next.

I'm  thinking of changing help_exit() to say something like "Run 'ls
--help' for more info." and then switching most of the lib/args.c calls
back to help_exit().

Rob

P.S. Release notes are an important part of the development process
because it means I review the development we did over the past few
months and confirm it makes _sense_. It's yet another layer of
code/design review. Alas right now I'm a little less coherent than I'd
like due to this cold...