[Toybox] How do I love gmail, let me count the ways...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Mar 23 10:31:51 PDT 2017

Every once in a while gmail does a false positive on an email from the
list, most recently deciding to reject:

http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2017-March/008885.html

As you can see from the content of that message, there is no way to
AVOID gmail false positiving on stuff, it's just something that happens.
And _when_ it happens, gmail refuses delivery until the bounces add up
enough for mailman to disable the subscription of every single gmail
account, ala:

On 03/22/2017 02:48 PM, mailman at lists.landley.net wrote:
> This is a Mailman mailing list bounce action notice:
>
>     List:       Toybox
>     Member:     ***@gmail.com
>     Action:     Subscription disabled.
>     Reason:     Excessive or fatal bounces.
>
> The triggering bounce notice is attached below.
>
> Questions? Contact the Mailman site administrator at
> mailman at lists.landley.net.
> <***@android.com>: host aspmx.l.google.com[74.125.28.27] said: 550-5.7.1
>     [66.33.216.23      12] Our system has detected that this message is
>     550-5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail. To reduce the amount of spam sent to
>     Gmail, 550-5.7.1 this message has been blocked. Please visit 550-5.7.1
>     https://support.google.com/mail/?p=UnsolicitedMessageError 550 5.7.1  for
>     more information. v190si2054387pfb.267 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA
>     command)

And I get a mailbox full of a hundred+ bounce action notification
messages for all the gmail addresses, and then have to go through a
manual process of re-enabling them through the web interface (because
dreamhost won't give me a command line on the mailing list server).

It's only ever gmail that does this. Everything else just discards the
"spam" message, but gmail has to make sure that the list that allowed it
through unsubscribes people, because reasons.

Thrilled beyond words,