[Toybox] chrt.c cleanup

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat May 27 13:53:13 PDT 2017

On 05/26/2017 10:54 AM, enh wrote:
>> Sigh I agree with this in principle (although I would have gone the
>> other way and enforced periods),
>
> happy to go the other way too; i only removed them because the current
> majority was periodless.
>
> (i haven't been able to guess whether it's supposed to be "-a All the
> things" or "-a all the things",

I capitalize and put periods on my tweets, I'm a bit biased here.
(College english minor and all that.)

I care more about it being consistent than being "right" here. The logic
of having the periods was that there's sometimes more than one sentence
in an option description. But the most common form of that seems to be
"stuff stuff stuff (more stuff)" and removing both periods works there.
Trying to keep 'em to one line more or less means one sentence.

Another thing I need to be consistent about (one way or the other) is
tabs or two spaces after the option in the description lines. That one's
a little weird; sometimes the tab lets you have space for an argument
(df and cpio) and sometimes it doesn't. And then there's things like
"grep" go to two columns, where a tab doesn't make sense. Lots of places
currently get it wrong (cat, bzcat, lsattr, comm, hostname, du...) and
what it looks like in the source and the help text are different because
of tab rounds up to 8 spaces but the menuconfig help text starts
indented by 4 spaces...

Sigh. Part of the reason for the tabs was to keep byte count down in the
help text, and now that I've got gzip in there I should compress the
help text during the build and decompress it when displaying it. (I
remember Busybox did a trick like that back when I worked on it.
Probably still does.) This doesn't save anything during standalone
builds but it's a pretty reasonable savings the rest of the time.

> but if you choose a style i'm sure
> i'll have an afternoon where i'm waiting for something for long enough
> to fit in a mindless semi-automated search and replace.)

https://xkcd.com/303/

For me figuring out the right thing to do is usually the big timesink,
and actually doing a lot more straightforward... except for the part
about plans never surviving contact with the enemy. Clay Shirky said
"the waterfall method amounts to a pledge by all parties not to learn
anything while doing the actual work" in
http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2013/11/healthcare-gov-and-the-gulf-between-planning-and-reality/
which is basically a corollary to http://wiki.c2.com/?PlanToThrowOneAway