[Toybox] Yes, I'm aware dreamhost has deleted the mailing list web archive again.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Oct 11 13:58:16 PDT 2017

On 10/11/2017 12:36 PM, enh wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2017 22:47, "Rob Landley" wrote:
> >
> > It's an annual event with them. They're deeply incompetent.
>
> Seems like it's not being updated even now... "*Note:*The archive search
> index was last rebuilt at Friday, 29 Sep 2017 19:07:57 PDT. Any postings
> after that will not be found by a search. Index rebuild is usally done
> once every 24 hours for this list."

Did I say deeply incompetent?

  https://twitter.com/landley/status/917549056544604160

I meant deeply, _deeply_ incompetent.

Seriously, they've done this at least once a year since something like
2010, usually leaving another hole in the mailing list archive when they
(eventually) restore from a stale backup and think that fixes it.

I used to collect my interactions with them:

  http://landley.net/dreamhost.txt
  http://landley.net/dreamhost2.txt

But haven't in years because there's no point. They never learn because
I'm never talking to the same people. Even in the same thread, each
message is replied to by whichever junior intern is on duty right then,
with no institutional memory at all.

They're decent about the actual web hosting part (it's a static website
I have fully backed up and rsync, it's hard to screw that up and "fire
up an empty container and restore the data from a backup" generally _is_
the right answer to something going wrong there). They're cheap, they
don't meter bandwidth or have a hard storage limit, and I do _not_ have
time to try to administer my own servers these days (work has gotten
_exciting_ again, I'm trying to get this release out before I get
kidnapped by j-core stuff for a few months)...

But it would be really really nice if I could run a mailman instance on
the container I ssh into instead of having them run lists.landley.net as
a shared "service" for me, which I have to administer through a web page
instead of the command line.

Right, back to trying to test and checkin cut.c. The new version of
which can do this!

  $ awk '{print $2" "$7" "$5}' LICENSE | head -n 5
  (C) Landley by

  to distribute modify,
  with hereby fee

  l$ ./cut -DF 2,7,5 LICENSE | head -n 5
  (C) Landley by

  to distribute modify,
  with hereby fee

(It's not awk, but it's better than nothing.)