[Toybox] [PENDING] [fold.c] [Question]

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Aug 30 10:31:30 PDT 2018

On 08/29/2018 06:06 PM, haroon maqsood wrote:
> Hi Rob,
> Yes the failures, are there for a reason, i have a patch for that (i.e the
> cleanup), but since the orignal author replied,
> i wanted to get his opinion, what i wanted to know was are gnu coreutils doing
> it wrong (pending/fold seems to depict the same behaviour) or am i
> understanding the posix spec wrong?

What coreutils does is almost as important as what posix says it should do: this
is the most widely deployed implementation, over 20 years old, and the behavior
people and scripts "expect" on Linux.

There are a few tests that I expect a system like ubuntu to fail (often a corner
case I'm proud I handled which ubuntu didn't), and I annotate them with
SKIP_HOST=1 (which is slightly awkward when the host is a toybox system), but
mostly the tests should run on the host and on toybox. It should be testing
"expected behavior" that more than one implementation can satisfy.