[Toybox] macOS sitrep

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Dec 4 20:05:47 PST 2018

On 12/4/18 7:06 PM, enh wrote:
> okay, so now toybox builds out of the box (with a custom .config) i
> added a bunch more stuff to my .config. the following were all
> painless:
>
> ascii base64 basename cal cat catv chgrp chmod chown cksum clear cmp
> comm count cpio crc32 cut dirname dos2unix du echo egrep env expand
> factor false fgrep file flock fmt ftpget ftpput grep groups head help
> hexedit hostname iconv id kill killall5 link ln logname md5sum microcom
> mkdir mkfifo mktemp nc netcat nice nl nohup od paste patch printenv
> printf pwd pwdx readlink realpath renice rev rm rmdir sed seq setsid
> sha1sum sha224sum sha256sum sha384sum sha512sum sleep sort split strings
> tac tee timeout true truncate tty uname uniq unix2dos unlink usleep
> uudecode uuencode uuidgen w watch wc which who whoami xargs xxd yes

Could you send me your .config? I can check in a "make macos_defconfig".

> (i haven't even bothered trying anything from pending.)

If you get the urge for specific commands out of there, lemme know. I just
finished redoing test.c and I'm squinting at tftpd.c now (using a dhcp/bootp
thing at $DAYJOB)...

I'm aware android's building bc, dd, diff, expr, getfattr, gzip, lsof, modprobe,
more, stty, tar, tr, and traceroute. But most of that isn't low hanging fruit
for cleanup. Although I'm close on the compression side of gzip, and since
watch.c I think I know how to tackle less/more now (although I need to go _back_
to watch and add ansi color support, which I also need to do in grep although
_that's_ a genericiation of the -o logic), and getfattr _would_ be low hanging
fruit if I had any sort of test case for it (what files on ubuntu normally have
xattrs I can examine?) Last time I tried to tackle expr. I spent all the
time/energy I had reading a chunk of that pdf on the precedence climbing thing
and the window got buried and my machine eventually rebooted...

Mostly when I look at pending it's ls -lS toys/pending, but vi.c is a stub,
groupdel is part of the userdel/useradd/groupadd cluster, getfattr.c I haven't
got any real test cases for (what on ubuntu has attributes I can look at?),
ipcrm I've never really used (and it's in suite with ipcs, need to read up on
both), and that brings us to fold which is basically "not fmt".

Chipping away at it as I can...