[Toybox] Alternatives to github?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jun 5 12:42:41 PDT 2018

On 06/05/2018 11:56 AM, enh wrote:
> one thing to bear in mind: i've heard from folks at chinese OEMs that
> thanks to the great firewall, if something's not on github, it's
> basically inaccessible to them.

Ok, good point. Although I have a hard time staying current here:

2013: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_GitHub#Attack

2015:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/massive-denial-of-service-attack-on-github-tied-to-chinese-government/

2016:
https://qz.com/718465/chinas-fierce-censors-try-a-new-tactic-with-github-asking-nicely/

> they're more likely to be able to look
> at some random's claimed github _fork_ of AOSP than AOSP itself, for
> example :-/

Like https://github.com/LineageOS/android_external_toybox you mean? :)

I'm fine mirroring to more than one location and I _expect_ other people to, I'm
just uncomfortable having a microsoft-developed property be an important part of
my process (let alone a single point of failure). I'm not comfortable with my
web page pointing at microsoft as the only download location for something I
wrote, that's just asking for trouble.

(And I'd _just_ started paying more attention to github's non-mirroring aspects
in the past few weeks, because $DAYJOB has one of them corporate instances I've
been using a lot. I even logged in and closed several of the old issues and pull
requests I'd already dealt with via email, thinking "ok, properly engage with
this community"... and the acquisition stopped that cold.)

I'm back in Austin next week for vacation, and would LIKE to spend that time on
coding backlog rather than sysadmin stuff, so I'll probably punt on this for
now. But next release (I.E. whenever the 4.18 kernel comes out and I go "has it
been 3 months already?") I really want to have some other repo for the web page
to reference...