[Toybox] xxd -ps

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Nov 29 18:08:04 PST 2018

On 11/29/18 6:29 PM, enh wrote:
>> P.S. Projects accumulate complexity as they encounter more of the real world.
>> It's kind of annoying.
>
> to be clear: i think this is a terrible idea and we should just say
> "no" until/unless we have a genuinely compelling example. (which i
> don't think this is.)

I'm all for that approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PLvdmifDSk#t=1m40s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trw1PbQt_Yo#t=10s

> but if you already the toybox equivalent of getopt_long_only
> (http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/getopt.3.html) lying around,
> well, no, i'd probably still have said "YAGNI" and not actually used
> it for xxd anyway.

I've got "tar xvCf dirname filename file..." logic, which I need to enable for
"ps" as well. (It's on the todo list.)

But I tend to use short options when they're available. It's unix: make it more
verbose doesn't help.