[Toybox] oh, the irony...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Oct 22 11:56:31 PDT 2018

On 10/21/2018 11:54 PM, enh wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 6:49 PM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/17/2018 06:24 PM, enh wrote:
>>> $ ./toybox su --help
>>> toybox: Not root (see "toybox --help")
>>>
>>> not sure what the fix is there though.
>>
>> Ok, dug into it some more.
>>
>> If you "chown root:root toybox" and "chmod +s toybox", the su command then works
>> as advertised. Including su --help. What's it's _complaining_ about is this
>> command needs suid root to function, and toybox is not installed with that.
>>
>> The fact --help doesn't work in that case is still a problem, but it sounds like
>> the "Not installed suid root" error message a couple lines earlier is what it
>> should be printing in this case. (It's guarded by TOYBOX_DEBUG because it's
>> "your system is built wrong", not runtime user error, but you have that on so
>> should have seen it.)
>
> Android doesn't actually build any of the TOYFLAG_ROOTONLY stuff... i
> saw this on the host when i was trying to check all the --help output
> for obvious mistakes the other day.

Ah. That explains it. (I'm getting the message here when I enable CONFIG_DEBUG.)

Hmmm... on the one hand, I don't want "this should never happen" code in the
defconfig build. On the other hand, I want to make this easy to build systems
with (hence mkroot). Hmmm...

> speaking of which, http://landley.net/toybox/help.html should probably
> include the `toybox --version` output so it's clear what version of
> toybox that page refers to...

You're right.

Really I should move the version info to version.h at the top level and have it
#included from toys.h. I didn't because clutter, but its _job_ is to change
every release, and that would make it available to help -a... Although a
standalone build of help -a isn't going to print anything useful anyway...

(It's always the _little_ decisions that are hard to make. Small differences are
harder to see. :P )