[Toybox] Fun with the android NDK.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 20:46:36 PDT 2018

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 18:43:17 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> The big driver for both memory and storage consumption since the DOS
> days has been increasing display resolution and video, but a 4k
> display is the same resolution as digital cinema blown up on the wall
> of a theatre https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema and the
> point of a "retina display" is it's at the limits of human
> perception, and frame rate increases have been kinda meh too (movies
> have been at at 24 frames and TV at 30-ish for most of a century,
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM16aiSSpFk ), we've _already_
> doubled that today, so that's near endgame too...
>
> I'm sure we'll come up with new stuff over the next 20 years but

My Motorola Moto Z phone is basically a "retina display", even taking my
glasses off and squinting at it with my horribly short sighted vision,
I can't see pixels.  Strapping it to my head in a Google Daydream is a
whole other story though, rather low res, not enough resolution to be a
monitor replacement.  Oculus and friends insist on 90 Hz frame rates, to
stop people feeling ill, but lower rates work fine for "never gets ill"
me, YMMV.  4k per eye at 90 Hz frame rate for augmented / virtual
reality headsets is likely coming soonish.  Then again, tricks like
foveated rendering will reduce the amount of high res pixels needed
(tracking what part of the display your eyeball is actually focused on,
and only rendering that bit in high res).  That's driving things a bit
for now.