[Toybox] alias tar="tar --restrict"

enh enh at google.com
Mon Apr 15 09:33:37 PDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 11:49 AM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 4/11/19 7:52 PM, enh wrote:

> >> Posix removed "tar" and "cpio" from their standard command list over 10 years
> >> ago, in favor of something nobody anywhere uses for anything. What would telling
> >> them I added something to tar accomplish?
> >
> > that's so crazy i thought you must be mistaken, but, no: pax is there
> > but tar is gone. but <tar.h> is still there (which was what made me
> > think you must be wrong).
>
> There's a reason I stopped arguing with the Posix committee.
>
> Posix-2008 is a frame of reference to diverge from.

i've had some limited success with POSIX.
http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1214 for example.

> >>   https://landley.net/notes-2016.html#11-03-2016
> >>
> >> Meanwhile, https://lwn.net/Articles/658809/ kinda took the LSB out of
> >> commission. (Their initial gripe was Red Hat paid them to standardize RPM but
> >> not .deb, and Ubuntu objected hard but couldn't outbid Red Hat.)
> >
> > as far as i could tell lsb was never obviously useful anyway.
>
> Eh, it's another frame of reference to diverge from. Michael Kerris's man7.org
> is another (alas if glibc does something stupid he follows it blindly), as are
> the IETF RFCs.

that's not been my experience... i've found Kerrisk to be very
pragmatic, like you. just this weekend he applied a patch of mine to
the fopen(3) page explaining a difference between BSD (i.e.
Android/iOS/Mac) and glibc. (POSIX left something unspecified and the
two camps went in opposite directions.)

in fact, the only time he _hasn't_ made a change was the time when i
didn't have a concrete suggestion :-) (i defy anyone not to be at
least slightly confused by addrlen for Unix sockets
[http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/unix.7.html] but at the same
time if you do actually want to capture all the "strictly speaking"
stuff, it's not obvious you can do a lot better.)