[Toybox] alias tar="tar --restrict"

David Seikel onefang_toybox at dave.isageek.net
Fri Apr 5 21:55:02 PDT 2019

For what it is worth, OpenSim (the open source Second Life clone I do a
lot of work in) has .iar and .oar files, which are just .tar.gz files
with a specific restriction in the order of files in them.  These
files are archives of a users in world inventory, or parts of their
inventory (.iar files), and an archive of a "sim" or "region" (.oar
files).  "Sim" / "region" is the basic unit of land and 3D contents,
being 256 x 256 x Z meters.  Initially Z was 4096 meters of height,
later extended to 16384 meters, possibly higher now.  Though due to the
floating point nature of of the coordinate system, anything above 16 km
gets the jitters.

I generally just rename them to .tar.gz and use the usual tar and
friends on these files.  I just have to be careful when creating them
to put the files in the correct order.

Likely the above is more FYI than actually any issue with what you
propose.