[Toybox] Poking at llvm again, now in aosp prebuilts.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Aug 25 17:30:46 PDT 2019

I accumulated a lot of open reply windows in the run-up to ELC. :)

On 8/22/19 4:39 PM, enh wrote:
> remember that clang is always a cross compiler: that compiler builds
> all the things for all the architectures. you need to tell it to
> target Android. here it's defaulting to building for what you're
> running it on.

It gives me another llvm toolchain I can test with. (Which acts basically the
same as the prebuilt binaries you can download from llvm.org, so not a new
_category_, but I'm slightly more likely to keep it current.)

> (but you don't want to use the platform prebuilts anyway. use the NDK.
> and if you want something that acts more like a regular single-target
> compiler: https://developer.android.com/ndk/guides/standalone_toolchain#building_open_source_projects_using_standalone_toolchains
> )

I've been using the NDK. And you still don't want an llvm-cc command in the NDK. :(

>> (I think I asked this before, but don't remember the answer? Wouldn't it be more
>> portable to statically link all the prebuilts against bionic instead of
>> dynamically link them against the host libc? Dynamic library version skew is
>> common-ish, kernel syscall version skew is quite _uncommon_.

Still dunno why the prebuilts aren't statically linked against bionic.