[Toybox] Do you suppose this du -b patch is worth it?

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au
Wed Dec 11 13:38:34 PST 2019

> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 17:54:13 -0600
> From: Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
> To: toybox <toybox at lists.landley.net>
> Subject: [Toybox] Do you suppose this du -b patch is worth it?
>
> Every month or so I try to catch up on the busybox list and I saw somebody
> request du -b there, so I spent the half hour to make and smoketest a toybox
> version, and now I'm wondering if it's worth adding?
>
> Patch attached if you're curious. (See comment about how it doesn't scale on 32
> bit, not that android cares anymore and _not_ having it doesn't exactly scale
> any better...)
>
> Rob

Last time I came across this being used was when a computer programming
student was creating a packing program as his class project. He forgot
to allow for the >
--apparent-size >   print apparent sizes, rather than disk usage;
although the apparent size is usually smaller, it may be larger due to
holes in ('sparse') files, internal fragmentation, indirect blocks, and
the like.
He spent weeks trying to work out why his program kept ocasionally
failing before asking for help and it was pointed out to him.

> (Right as I was getting over my previous cold I got a different cold, which is
> just lovely and means I'm not really trusting my technical judgement right now.
> Wheee. Tis the season I guess.)

Good luck, were in the 30's and 40's C here, i'd love to have somewhere
cool to sleep.