[Toybox] speaking of /usr/bin...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Jan 25 21:30:30 PST 2019

On 1/25/19 5:08 PM, enh via Toybox wrote:
> i hadn't heard of this until today, when it broke something:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/UsrMerge

I did a corrected version of that last link one of the times that old busybox
post made the rounds, and an online magazine asked me if they could reprint it
and I went "lemme correct a couple numbers and provide links to primary sources":

  https://landley.net/writing/unixpaths.pdf

I.E. The system disk was half a megabyte, the rk05 disk packs were 2.5 megabytes
each (and _way_ slow, basically the external USB drives of their day), so the 3
megs system storage I remembered was correct but not split evenly, and then
adding the second rk05 later added a megabyte more than I remembered. (It was
all on Dennis Ritchie's web page if you dug deep enough into the old documents
he had up...)

But yeah, /bin and /usr/bin got split because the roast wouldn't fit in
grandma's oven:

  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/grandmas-cooking-secret/

I was already symlinking them back together circa 2002. (Which triggered a
binutils library search bug at the time, since fixed.) And then the systemd guys
got the idea from one of the time my post about it went viral (and linked to my
post from their original paper on it...)

Rob

P.S. It's still way less silly than
https://www.zdnet.com/article/row-brewing-over-linux-patches/ got.