[Toybox] grep and empty regexes

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 28 17:59:15 PDT 2019

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 07:19, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> Your timing is impeccable. Guess what the gmail spurious delivery failure due to
> spam false positive du jour was? (Other than me. I get unsubscribed to my own
> list and have to send a "confirm" email twice a week. Yes, I need to move off
> gmail, but I'm kinda busy...)

You and me both :(

One caveat, on FreeBSD by default we still have:

% grep --version
grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1-FreeBSD

Replacing it with BSD grep is in progress, and it's still under
somewhat active development. There's also a WITH_GNU_GREP_COMPAT
build-time option that links against libgnuregex. So there are lots of
ways the BSD libc regcomp won't be used in whatever is installed as
/usr/bin/grep.