[Toybox] Note to self: singlemake bug.

enh enh at google.com
Sun Mar 3 10:46:42 PST 2019

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 8:16 PM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 3/2/19 10:09 PM, Rob Landley wrote:
> > make top; make ps; ps -A
> >
> > The -A is a NOP because FLAG(A) is 0 in ps context because ps was switched off
> > when building top, but ps.o didn't get rebuilt building ps. Dependencies wrong.
> >
> > Rob
> >
> > P.S. You wanted more of this stuff going here instead of todo.txt and friends.
> > No idea when I'll get around to fixing it, "make clean; make ps" works fine for
> > the moment...
>
> Also: todo, why the %*#(&%&# is top using 10% of cpu? Ubuntu's top is using 1%,
> I should profile this and try to clean it up.

(toybox top only takes 1.6% for me in its steady state. it's more when
it first starts, but so is debian's regular top. oddly, debian's top
peaks higher at the start, but goes down to 0.7%.)

> (Did the manual stdio output
> buffer setting help at all? Why was that done anyway...)

a little bit, but the real reason for the buffering is to prevent
"tearing" where you get flicker from flushing multiple times in the
same logical update and see half the screen appear before the other
half. it did cure that.