[Toybox] mknod: -m not working without MKNOD_Z

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Mar 21 16:30:39 PDT 2019

On 3/21/19 4:55 PM, enh wrote:
>> And, of course, a test case. :)
>
> interesting. i get the same behavior for -l, but the behavior i
> described for regular ls with "ls (GNU coreutils) 8.28". so maybe they
> noticed and fixed that themselves in the last few years? perhaps also
> because of security contexts (which is where i hit this, though i too
> tested coreutils using `chmod -x` instead)?

Just tell me the behavior you want and I can try to make it do that.

>> I used the bash builtin "command -v" instead of which in hopes of not tripping
>> up bsd and macos, but I suppose they need a working which too? Juggling too many
>> balls just now...
>
> at some point i'll grab a mac again and have another go. (at fixing
> more toys too.) but mac stuff is very low down my to-do list.

I had a mac for almost 2 years and never got the development environment
properly set up on it (I managed to glitch out the mac store to the point a mac
expert couldn't unglitch it, ala http://landley.net/notes-2017.html#28-02-2017),
then it was on a shelf untouched for half a year until
https://twitter.com/landley/status/988579478749302784

*shrug* I'd get a mac mini if mac still minid, but Apple is having the same "eat
your seed corn" problem with developers that Solaris did.

https://twitter.com/mme_hardy/status/1106930554794958848

Back in the https://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/10/04/sun_to_unbundle_solaris/
time period when they stupidly kept canceling solaris86 becuase they didn't
realize that was all their cheap development systems, even though their devs
took out full page newspaper ads begging them not to. I vaguely recall they
cancelled solaris86 and brought it back _twice_ before the devs finally walked
on the third cancellation...

This is part of the reason I'm trying to get android developable on android, by
the way. This sort of thing is _important_...