[Toybox] [landley/toybox] expr: fix memory management (#148)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Nov 11 21:35:33 PST 2019

On 11/11/19 9:41 AM, enh-google wrote:
> *@enh-google* commented on this pull request.

> In toys/pending/expr.c
> <https://github.com/landley/toybox/pull/148#discussion_r344771665>:
>

> -  if (TT.refree) free(TT.refree);
> +  toys.exitval = status;
>
> why not just set |toys.exitval| directly on L266?

The reason I haven't applied this patch yet is I need 95% of this plumbing for
toysh to implement $(( )) and (1<3) && echo hello, and what's there won't do
that, so if I have to write a new one anyway the new one can probably also
implement expr the command.

The shell $(( )) and ( ) versions need the ability to assign environment
variables because it turns out:

  $ echo $((x=3)); echo $x
  3
  3

And THEN there's this fun tidbit:

  $ y=-4; echo $((x=y)); echo $y
  -4
  -4

And you'll notice I didn't export y, meaning it needs to understand the
difference between local and exported variables and thus must read shell
context. And here's a fun one:

  $ z=z
  $ echo $((z=z))
  bash: z: expression recursion level exceeded (error token is "z")

Plus the evaluation includes shell internal variables like $_:

  $ expr 1 + 2x
  expr: non-integer argument
  $ echo $((1+_))
  bash: 2x: value too great for base (error token is "2x")

Which means expr needs to be able to run NOFORK from toysh (not as a seperate
process), so error_exit("non-integer argument") is out.

As for the original expr.c implementation, I continue to wonder why it coverts
"=" into enum EQ so it can have a case EQ because having the same information in
three places that need to be kept in sync when you could just have an if
(strcmp(s, "=")) { do the thing } staircase directly consuming non-integer
tokens so each operator exists in one place and it just checks them in
precedence order? And then there's the question of why have a struct with two
representations of the same data (integer and string) when we have a function to
convert strings to integer and back at will? Again, maybe there's a reason it
can't do that either, but I _did_ implement a string equation parser in Java for
quest multimedia back when I was fresh out of college and it wasn't _that_ hard.

And THEN there's the bash man page's "arithmetic expression" section having x++
and --x and ** exponentiation and bit shift operators and ? : conditionals and
11 different assignment operators in the %= and >>= genre...

The main reason I hadn't opened the expr.c can of worms before (other than posix
having broken the expr spec) was wondering if it should unlimited length math
instead of 64 bit back before bc.c showed up, and every time I looked at things
like libtommath it got brain-hurty and undocumented fast.

Anyway, expr.c is in my bucket of "I don't expect I can salvage this, I may need
to write a new one from scratch". Especially since the _logcal_ thing to do is
put a function in lib/lib.c that consumes argv/argc inputs (because expr "1 + 2"
prints "1 + 2" output as a string while $(( )) will parse it) which means moving
struct sh_arg to lib/lib.h as struct argvc or something, and changing sh.c to
use that. (Or moving the expr implementation into sh.c but I haven't done that
with test.c and don't want another ps.c on my hands...)

Every time an email about this wanders by I go "I should bump expr.c closer to
the top of my list and just _do_ it to moot this patch", but it's _probably_
about 3 full days to design and implement the infrastructure I actually _want_
here and I've been kinda busy (toybox ain't my day job, nobody wants to pay for
that) and am not scheduled to return to Austin until the 22nd...

Sorry,

Rob

P.S. There's a nonzero chance I've written basically this email about expr.c at
least twice before. Yup, http://landley.net/notes-2016.html#19-04-2016 is one.
And I'm aware it's been in pending forever
(http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-June/005975.html is
from 2013). See David Graeber's example of the guy whose job is to apologize for
the carpenter not having gotten to your todo item yet, I'm aware it indicates a
structural problem with toybox development, but this isn't "paint my fence" this
is halfway to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_watch territory and
involves designing the pieces that need to be fit into the space, and
_meanwhile_ I'm off working on j-core and gps stuff again because they pay my
bills and this doesn't so I haven't even looked at toysh for a couple 2 weeks now.