[Toybox] [landley/toybox] Freshen up first half of roadmap. (a4314f2)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Oct 15 12:40:09 PDT 2019

On 10/14/19 6:21 PM, enh-google wrote:
> why ftp/d/? ftp to pull down a tarball
> i could understand, but ftp/d/... seems worth explaining?

Because ftpget -s is ftpput, and ftpput is 2/3 of ftpd. What's left is probably
small and simple.

More generally if I'm going to have the client of anything the server's fair
game. (It's not required, I have bzcat and xzcat but not the compressors for
either.)

It got on the list because the automated builds I used to do under aboriginal
linux would upload the resulting tarball via ftpput, meaning I needed ftpd
running on the host outside the VM for it to upload to, which means I needed an
ftpd in the airlock $PATH, and luckily busybox had one...

I could replace ftpd with httpd except that doesn't usually let you _upload_.
The modern copying tools like scp and rsync require a transport (in theory rsync
has a server mode but rsync -e ssh is like diff -u, it's probably the only mode
worth implementing), which is nice but is an external dependency so there should
be a way to do it that doesn't have that dependency...

> well, we're already using toybox dd and gzip. modprobe we did use (and actually
> still build [but don't install the symlink] as a backup), but switched to our
> own implementation to use the kernel folks' libmodprobe and obey the "only one
> implementation" rule. to switch back, we'd need to be able to build a libtoybox
> that we could link in to places where we link libmodprobe. (which i think would
> actually be quite a cool thing in a bunch of places, but that's definitely a
> post-1.0 kind of thing.)

I don't expect you to switch back any time soon but that's not the point. I
don't want to unnecessarily preclude it either. "This is what android _would_
need" is a strong indicator of real-world use patterns (use case) out there...