[Toybox] How can I contribute

Ryan Prichard rprichard at google.com
Thu Oct 17 13:14:29 PDT 2019

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 3:27 PM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> Right now toys/posix/ls.c only puts one space between filenames in -C or
> -x mode
> (which is the default output), and I have a todo item to increase that to 2
> spaces (which is what other implementations do). The reason is I
> misunderstood
> how unicode worked and it turns out combining characters don't come
> _after_ the
> character they combine with but before, which means a filename that ends
> with a
> combining character will attach to the space after the filename, and thus
> make
> two filenames visually run together unless you have a two space gap. [...]

I thought the order was the other way around (base character, then
combining character). I tested it with:

printf 'o\xcc\x81o\n' >A.txt
google-chrome A.txt

I see: óo

I also tried printf 'x \xcc\x81a\n', and I sometimes see "x á", but the
terminal seems to think the accent is above the space (e.g. selecting 'a'
doesn't select the accent). The accent appears above the space if I use a
non-monospace font in a browser.

-Ryan