[Toybox] Toybox Installer/setup routine?

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au
Sun Sep 1 16:22:30 PDT 2019

This may be a can of worms or off-topic but...

I was wondering if Toybox should/could have an inbuilt installer/setup
routine of some sort and how are others handling this retro-fit problem!

I can only talk from the systems i've used in the past, but adding a new
build of toybox to a system where busybox resides, or adding where a
full version command still needs to exist, 'can be a real pain in the
neck'. I admit that in most cases where i've added it, it's been the
need to add a switch (command -switch) to do something that BB doesn't
but toybox does/can, and the consideration of adding a full command
isn't always effective, with the rest of toybox being considered 'jam on
the bread'.

What i'd like to be able to do something like this (as an example)>
  install the toybox-x86-64 binary into /bin >
  run  the command 'toybox-x86-64 -setup>
  >this causes toybox-x86-64 to create the /bin/toybox command link plus
all the internal toybox command links in their correct directories,
renaming any busybox command links already installed from command to
command-BB(, so I can still run them when needed for some reason) i.e.
/bin/cksum from busybox becomes cksum-BB by default;
 > and where it's a full command it's replacing (not busybox version),
it renames the full command as command-FULL so it's also still available
  or can be manually changed back when/if needed.

I'm not sure it's that hard, as I think it would be mainly renaming
busybox links to -BB and full commands to -FULL when doing the install
routine as far as the linux community is concerned, and i'm sure enh and
others will be able to comment with equivalents relative to the macOS,
android, ASOP and other systems your installed into (like that ibm-fuji
maintenance timeslot).

Currently I've been doing this manually when building a new pet (our
install packages for puppylinux), and of course this is time consuming
and not just for me, which was why I was wondering what others are doing
about this problem, and if there was the possability of adding an
inbuilt automatic installer/setup routine, at least to deal with the
busybox commands, I don't want to lose them totally, I just don't want
them to be used by default after i've installed toybox unless there is a
serious reason to go backwards to them.

Which is where we come back to the question, what and how are others
dealing with this problem and is there a need for a simple and basic
installer inside toybox?

And sorry, but please don't ask me to patch code and submit, I haven't
done any since 16bit was superseeded and i'm getting too old to start again.

regards
scsijon