[Toybox] Toybox Installer/setup routine?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Sep 8 01:01:26 PDT 2019

On 9/8/19 1:34 AM, scsijon wrote:
>> I don't see how that relates to this conversation? I said vi is on the todo
>> list, but I'm not working on it yet because it's a big job to do it right and
>> I've currently got my hands full with the shell and need route and make to make
>> mkroot work so those come first?
>>
> Maybe it was that you had a link from vi to vim that made me worry.

toybox vi should do what vim does the way toybox sh should do what bash does.

I.E. cursoring around in insert mode should not crap [B all over everything.

>> You had /bin/sed pointing to busybox. You replace that with /bin/sed pointing to
>> toybox. But it was "busybox's link".
>>
>> How does the symlink belong to either? It points _to_ one of them. But since it
>> used to point to busybox it's busybox's by divine right?
>>
>> (Have fun with busybox if that's what you like. I used to maintain it. Heck, I
>> wrote the majority of busybox sed.)
>
> Not my choice!

If you want to say "toybox $COMMAND doesn't do --fruitbasket and I need it
because $BLAH", I'll happily add that to my todo list.

NOT phrasing it that way is kinda confusing. I have to reverse engineer what
you're saying to figure out if there's something for me to do.

>> What I taught toybox to do is:
>>
>>    $ ln -s toybox echo
>>    $ ln -s echo potato
>>    $ ./potato one two three
>>    one two three
>>
>> And that means you CAN have an "echo-toybox" symlink, pointing to ~/toybox/echo,
>> which is itself a symlink to /bin/toybox. And it should all work fine.
>
> AH, thank you, and I didn't even think of that way of doing it, much better than
> my idea. So I could put toybox's direct links in /usr/local/toybox (which is not
> in the HOME path so not available directly) and create symlinks as something
> like /usr/local/bin/echo-toy (which would be in the path) to
> /usr/local/toybox/echo (which is a symlink to /usr/bin/toybox). That sorts out
> most of what I want to do as a first stage. And no I don't want you to do it if
> I can, that's not your job. It's my problem really to sort out. I just needed to
> pick your brains how to do that in case you hadn't. I will need in the end, to
> create a toybox.pet package for it to be added for our users to use.
>
> All I will then need to do, is to trap what's already in the system as links
> from busybox and rename them and what is a full command and rename that, then
> i'm up and running, ?easy?.

Ten years ago I taught Aboriginal Linux to create binary package tarballs using
find -newer.

https://github.com/landley/aboriginal/commit/e9cea2a195b5

>> I.E. I implemented a way to do what you want already, you just don't seem to
>> want to do it that way and want me to implement another way to do the same thing?
>>
>> But then, I'm having trouble understanding this thread.
>
> I think I am too, i've got to stop reading and replying to people when it's
> almost time to get up and haven't been to bed yet, i'm getting too old for this.

Sigh. I am replying to this email at 3am my time.