[Toybox] Toybox Installer/setup routine?

enh enh at google.com
Thu Sep 12 09:44:43 PDT 2019

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:57 AM Denys Nykula <nykula at ukr.net> wrote:

> [...]
> > apprently rewritten the documentation in rust, which I was unaware was an option?)
>
> RST is ReStructured Text. Sort of like Markdown. Has tooling for tables of
> contents and interlinks, generates PDFs and HTML.
>
> > > Mkroot is useful. Regarding allnoconfig, where should I read about kconfig CLI
> > > helpers if they exist?
> >
> > make help (in toybox or in linux), and there's something under the Documentation
> > directory in the kernel but they keep moving the files there.
> >
> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kbuild/kconfig.txt
>
> Config creation I have seen in docs, config updating and deletion too, but what
> about config read and analysis? Like for userland, Portage can find the missing
> flags on which the present manually specified flags depend, and generates a
> config including those flags, bailing out if there are || options but saving
> time in the majority of simple cases. So that fewer of those missing flags
> ever have to appear in the miniconfig, as config inflator could derive them.
>
> > I also have my own compressed version of the config files:
> >
> > http://landley.net/aboriginal/FAQ.html#dev_miniconfig
>
> Yep that's from where I learned about the allnoconfig.
>
> > Which I tried to submit upstream multiple times back when I still engaged with
> > linux-kernel:
> >
> > https://lwn.net/Articles/161086/
>
> Todo read. Probably you answered my above question there but I'm offline
> at the moment of writing this, sending later.
>
> > > #!/bin/sh
> > > # $ kwhy ACPI_WMI
> > > # DELL_WMI
> > > # IDEAPAD_LAPTOP
> > > # ...
> > > find /src/linux/ -name Kconfig -not -path '*scripts*tests*' -exec perl -0pe 's/\
> > > nconfig (.+)(\n[ \t]+.*)*\n[ \t]+depends on.*[^!\w\n]('$1')[^!\w].*/\n$1\n/g;s/(
> > > ^|\n)[^A-Z\n].*/\n/g;s/\s+/\n/g;s/^\n//' {} +
> >
> > See you and raise you:
> >
> > https://github.com/landley/aboriginal/blob/master/more/miniconfig.sh
>
> I have a miniconfig. Some of its items, now leaves, I once manually selected to
> make other items visible. While those items are no longer needed, these leaves
> remain in miniconfig. I'm asking if a CLI helper could tell me what items outside
> miniconfig depended on the remaining leaves inside miniconfig. Since I haven't
> found such a helper, I prototyped mine but it's obviously a stopgap.
>
> > > Build continues, just prints distracting warnings at the beginning. Wrote this
> > > down when trying to build as much as possible with LLVM and note all that
> > > might have been going wrong.
> >
> > There's more or less annual bursts of interest in that
>
> Looks annual to publishers who report on releases, not following the issues and
> everyday development much. Kernel releases more often. LLVM 9 has all the
> compiler extensions and binutils flags required by the kernels released earlier
> this year, so its Clang now builds the kernel without GNU binutils which
> reports from previous years were all about.

yeah, as of this year Android no longer uses GNU binutils for kernels
or userspace, and we're switching the NDK over to the llvm
replacements now. (the NDK might still require us to implement a few
extra flags here and there, since we have a lot less control over what
NDK users are up to than we do in the platform build.)