[Toybox] Fwd: hexedit uses VT-420 scroll ctrl sequences which dont work on tty1

James McMechan james.w.mcmechan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 21:41:48 PDT 2019

The console_codes page does not seem to include SD/SU \e[1S/\e[1T.

I however have used IL/DL \e[1L/\e[1M which insert/remove lines at the
cursor.
e.g. \e[1;1H\e[5L puts 5 blank lines at the top of screen scrolling
everything down and \e[1;1H\e[2M deletes the top two lines scrolling
everything up.
In a quick test with "echo -e" seems to work on framebuffer console, screen
and xterm

Personally, I use screen instead of either tmux or minicom
I use it for the multiple windows and less insane serial port handling.
With minicom I spent a bit of each setup fixing it so it stopped trying so
hard to help me and would just connect me to the serial port...
If I needed some weird setting with screen I would just use stty
</dev/ttyUSB1 cs7 9600 or whatever in a second window.

One reason for screen etc. is that even now we have embedded boards that
can't seem to have their serial ports work correctly above 9600 and on
those occasions I need to run a serial port remotely via modem it has been
getting slower. Even high speed modems tend to max out around 24Kbps which
seems to be dropping recently, I suspect the switching to packet switched
digital backhaul with modern codecs breaks the assumptions modems were
built with so they run slower.

Jim McMechan