[Toybox] Building Linux with Toybox

Porter, Jeremy porter.188 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Fri Aug 28 10:24:35 PDT 2020

I have RISC-V based cross compiled Linux running busybox. I have a very simple /etc/inittab file like this:

  1 ::sysinit:/bin/busybox mount -t proc proc /proc
  2 ::sysinit:/bin/busybox mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /tmp
  3 ::sysinit:/bin/busybox mount -o remount,rw /dev/htifbd0 /
  4 ::sysinit:/bin/busybox --install -s
  5 /dev/console::sysinit:-/bin/ash

How can I translate this to something toybox can use? I've tried this:

  1 mount -t proc proc /proc
  2 mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /tmp
  3 mount -o remount,rw /dev/htifbd0 /
  4 #::sysinit:/bin/toybox --install -s
  5 #/dev/console::sysinit:-/bin/sh
  6 exec toybox init

It's starting partially (I think) but I'm not quite sure how to troubleshoot this. My goal is to have a very small Linux. It's around 3 MB file size right now and takes about 5 MB of memory when booted. It looks like toybox might go a little smaller if I can get it working.

Thanks,

Jeremy