[Toybox] GitHub Apps - Repo Lockdown · GitHub

enh enh at google.com
Tue Aug 18 10:17:06 PDT 2020

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 1:54 AM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 8/17/20 10:55 AM, enh wrote:

> to try the

> experience.)
> >>
> >> Eh, its not a huge deal. The list is my personal preference, but wget
> pull
> >> request plus ".patch" on the end feeds straight into "git am".
> >
> > yeah, i've certainly seen you apply patches sent as pull requests. i
> > think the bigger problem is that checking pull requests isn't part of
> > your workflow in the same way that checking the list is. i'd almost
> > responded on https://github.com/landley/toybox/pull/234 that the
> > submitter should try sending their patch to the mailing list instead,
> > for example.
>
> I get email, there's "patch links" near the bottom of the email, and the
> one
> ending in .patch is a "git am" format patch I can review and apply like
> any other.
>
> >> There's a generational divide between old people who grew up on mailing
> lists
> >> and younguns who grew up on web forums. People young enough that
> "here's a list
> >> of 37 websites that went away, you can't archive this and will lose your
> >> history" gets responded to with "I was 4 when that happened, who cares
> what
> >> happens in 10 years that's forever, we'll burn that bridge when we come
> to it,
> >> and just because it's happened like clockwork for decades doesn't mean
> it'll
> >> happen AGAIN"...
> >>
> >> As I said, "wide net". The real history is the git commit log I
> suppose...
> >
> > i think the question is which is a worse experience for those younger
> > than we mailing list types --- having a pull request automatically
> > closed with a "try the mailing list instead" or having a pull request
> > accidentally missed because the person who needs to see it mainly
> > concentrates on the mailing list?
>
> I usually don't miss the pull request, because email. (Unless I'm not
> online at
> the time and have to remember to download it later when the mail itself is
> already marked as read, that isn't 100%.)
>
> But closing it, I have to navigate to the website which I'm not always
> logged
> into even when I am online. (Why github-generated .patch files don't have
> the
> "closes #xxx" magic signature you were telling me about, I couldn't tell
> you.
> They didn't anticipate this workflow, I guess? "I have assumptions about
> how
> this hammer will be used, and it breaks if you don't do that" = cheap
> hammer.)

(the whole "you need to fork the project to send a patch" model just
baffles me. i don't think i could have come up with a more alien way of
contributing to a project than github's if i'd actually set out to try to
do so. just the fact that it litters the internet with abandoned "forks"
[that aren't usually really forks in the traditional sense] and leaves you
struggling to understand which [if any] is the "real" project...)