[Toybox] which packages toybox replaces

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Feb 16 18:01:48 PST 2020

On 2/9/20 3:12 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> In https://github.com/landley/toybox/issues/168#issuecomment-583725500 firasuke
> raised the issue of distros wanting to add "alternatives" annotations to their
> toybox package, to say which other packages it replaces (or at least conflicts
> with).
>
> I gave him a dpkg-query loop that shows what packages debian commands were
> installed from, but it might also be useful to go through Linux From Scratch and
> check their "what packages each package installs" lists to see how that might
> apply to toybox?
>
> I started going through the first few packages from chapter 6 of
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/9.0/LFS-BOOK-9.0-NOCHUNKS.html
> (the square brackets mean not yet implemented but probably should):

I finished the analysis and posted it to my blog:

  https://landley.net/notes.html#09-02-2020

with only a little snark about packages LFS _could_ have used (ifconfig but not
route).

By the way, what happened to Linux From Scratch? Their base system is now a 368
page PDF downloading 86 packages? It's got python 3 (and because of that has to
install openssl as a prerequisite), libtool, a perl xml parser _and_ expat,
libffi, libpipeline, libelf, texinfo (seriously, info pages?), it builds ninja
and mason on top of make as part of the _base_ system... At least it's not the
systemd version.

Anyway, I should compare this with the dpkg-query -S based analysis from
https://github.com/landley/toybox/issues/168#issuecomment-583809887 and try to
come up with a new roadmap section or something, but I get on a plane back to
the states tomorrow...