[Toybox] JOE

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Jan 23 20:55:26 PST 2020

On 1/23/20 4:08 PM, scsijon wrote:
>> My own todo list item for a text editor was to make a generic engine I could
>> implement vi, emacs, nano/edit, and joe (wordstar) keybindings on top of (and
>> MAYBE share plumbing with less and watch).
>
> JOE is being maintained by its original author Joseph Allen, plus all of the
> people who send bug reports, feature suggestions and patches to the project web
> site. JOE is hosted by SourceForge.net and its source code is controlled under
> Mercurial, and there are not many packages that can still say that!

>From 1992 to 1995 the version installed on clam.rutgers.edu (after the migration
from sunos to solaris) segfaulted repeatedly at random, so I learned vi. It's
nice there's now a version that reliably captures Ctrl-S instead of hanging the
terminal until you hit Ctrl-X every third launch, but I haven't touched a
solaris box in a decade, and I'm not sure "this works just like turbo C's IDE"
is much of a draw in 2020.

I agree there are not many packages still on sourceforge in mercurial that can
say they are maintained.