[Toybox] Would someone please explain what bash is doing here?

enh enh at google.com
Fri Mar 13 09:27:18 PDT 2020

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 6:12 AM Chet Ramey <chet.ramey at case.edu> wrote:

> > I dunno about minimalism, but I'm trying to get toys/pending/sh.c in under 3500
> > lines. (It's 2400 now, maybe 100 of which is debug code. So it's still feasible,
> > but tight. And yeah, that's pulling in some subset of lib/*.c's 5600 lines, so
> > maybe 9k lines total. Plus my original plan for command history editing went out
> > the window, so I have to redo that...)
> >
> > Then again, I'm trying to implement more functionality in that budget than dash
> > is. Does that make it less minimalist?
>
> The dash folks would say so.

except now you need two shells :-)

this feels like the arguments in the early 1990s around perl, and how
it's unfortunate that the two schools of minimalism ("one thing that's
usable for everything" vs "lots of things that each do less") both
call themselves "minimalism" despite being almost diametrically
opposed. (i personally call them perl minimalism and unix minimalism,
but "batteries included" might resonate more than "perl" these
days...)