[Toybox] Would someone please explain what bash is doing here?

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Tue May 5 15:33:29 PDT 2020

On 5/5/20 1:47 PM, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 5/4/20 1:16 PM, Chet Ramey wrote:
>>> Still trying to work out what the "bash spec" would be, vs implementation details...
>>
>> I'll be interested when you get that spec done.
>
> I'd love to read it myself. Alas, it's corner cases all the way down:
>
>   $ bash -c $'echo $LINENO\necho $LINENO'
>   0
>   1
>   $ bash <<< 'echo $LINENO'
>   1

Yes, line numbers should start at 1, even when the shell is reading a
command from a string.

> I'm not currently writing a formal spec, I'm blogging a constant series of
> complaints while trying to get the behavior right.

You're blogging these bash corner cases, too? What a time to be alive.

Anyway, give yourself some credit. Most of these things have been around
for many years, and nobody ran across them until you did.

> I currently have no IDEA what "sh --help" should look like when I'm done,

I'm pretty sure bash --help complies with whatever GNU coding standards
cover that option.

Chet
Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/